Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Cultural Differences

Throughout this trip, cultural differences have been abundent. From streets having no lanes, to iguanas running wild (compared to our squirrels). Today, I experienced a huge barrier. Language. I know the least amount of Spanish in the group, since I've never been in a Spanish class before. Ecuador is a better way to learn the language than sitting in a classroom, but it has it's difficulties. However, the one place that I found where speaking the same language has the smallest effect, was the day care. We visted the kids today to find joy in us stepping in the room. The boys and girls jumped into our arms, onto our backs, and into our hearts with the biggest smiles they could ever show us. One boy showed affection for me in a different way. He tugged on my hair. During the small mass earlier in the day, I felt someone tug on my hair. But I didn't remember him until I was sitting with another kid, and felt the same tug I felt earlier. I turned to him to see him run from me, giggling as he went. However, it wasn't until later when I was standing that I felt a tap on my back, to see him smiling at me with arms raised. As I picked him up, he did the weirdest thing. He rubbed my lips with his fingers, pulled off lip balm I had on. I was temtped to stop him, but I felt there was no harm. Until he took that finger, and smeared it on my eye lid. Whether it was funny to him or a form of love, I'll never truly know. But I laughed very hard as he continued to do it until we had to leave. Before I put him down, he gave me one hard squeeze and rubbed his cheek to mine. I left that room smiling from ear to ear, even when I didn't even know his name!
~Carrie Fulton

No comments:

Post a Comment