Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Journey Here, by Benjamin Schembri


We left on Tuesday June 19th. The plane was from American airlines. The plane departed San Francisco at 10:35pm. The  time on the plane was good watching movies and sleeping even though I only slept 2 hours. Before I knew it we were already in New York. We had a 4 hour lay over which was nice because we could sleep at the airport. I think I was the only one who slept but everyone seemed like they were having a good time. Next thing we knew we were on the plane to Miami. This flight was only a 2 hour flight which you would think is a relief but after the first hour and a half I started to get air sick. Luckily we were close to the ground and we landed. I was so relived that we made it to Miami! We had a 2 hour lay over. It was okay but we had to travel across the air port so It was more like a 1 hour layover. We got on the plane and while I was walking down the aisles I looked over at the seats and found out there were no tv’s!!! I was so looking forward to finishing my movie. So then I started to talk to the people on the sides of me. The person on the left of me was coming from Switzerland and he said he was in a gap year in college and he was coming to Ecuador for 2 months to learn Spanish. The person to the right of me was an Ecuadorian. I was talking to him about why he is coming to Ecuador and he said that he was coming back to his family, and couldn’t wait to see his family. While we were flying over he was pointing out every city. Then finally we made it to the Guayaquil airport. We went though customs. When we got out of customs we met Nathan and Germania. They took us to the hostel and we got  to our rooms then went to bed.
The next day we had to get out of bed at 8:00am and head down to breakfast. We had eggs, ham and toast it was a very small portion. Nathan came to take us to Damien house. We walked there and It was just around the corner. When we got their we went through the gate and went to the art room. We all got chairs out and learned da few things about Nathan, he started to talk to us about leprosy that it was not contagious and we should refer to it as Hansens disease. Then we went to the women living quarters to talk to them. First thing we did with them is introduce ourselves to them. It was hard speaking in Spanish but we all were able to pronounce it. While  the women were introducing then selves to us Nathan would translate. All the ladies were very nice they explained were they lived in the parts of Ecuador. They showed us their living quarters. The next thing we did was have lunch. The lunch was rice with beans mixed in ,beef ,fried plantains, and some cheese. After lunch, we went to the mens place and played dominos with them for an hour and a half. The guy I was playing with was 97. I had a great time playing with them. After that we went to the supermarket to get food. We got food but most of the food their was cheap and different. Then we came to the hostel and ate dinner. After dinner Charlie and I  went to typing and all the other boys  were playing phase 10 with Maria. The end. Love you mom and dad and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment