Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Making Dough -by Reece

Today we got to know the place and school behind the Working Boys Center. Some of us woke up early to do some laundry and eat breakfast at the bakery right outside the Center. I had hot chocolate and a breakfast cookie. Then at 9:00 am we had an orientation with Judy, Madre Miguel and Padre Juan who are all administrators for the Center. After that, we met with a man named Rodolfo who took us on a tour of the workshops and the school. When the tour was over, we went to the school cafeteria to help make empanadas for lunch. The dough we used was huge and we had to take small pieces and rool it into small balls.
The lady that was rolling the dough with us was a lot faster than us, by the time we finished four, she had 14 already on the pan. 
By the time all the children were in the cafeteria, we had all the food prepared. The kids were really loud and obnoxious to be honest. Despite the fact that they all just stared at us, I thought it was cool that they tried to socialize with us. For example, this one group of kids called me over just to ask me if I was from China. When I heard this, Justin and I started laughing aloud. Even though we told them I was from California, they kept asking me about China. After socializing, we went to the restaurant which is right next to the bakery, for lunch. I had carne apanados which is a breaded meat with rice and fries. Once we were all done, we went to the dining room upstairs to get another orientation about helping out with dinner and meals. The rest of the day we were able to relax in our room or go play with the children outside. Finally, tonight we get to help cook and clean for dinner. Yay...! Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment