Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Siena's favorite part of the trip

My favorite part of the trip so far was our second day in Guayaquil, helping at the Damien House. Claire, Carrie, and I went around to visit the patients with Abel, a high school student who is learning English. He translated so that we could hold conversations with everyone. We spent a while with Esther, a woman who makes bracelets to sell to visitors. She brought out her cart, which had all kinds of craft supplies. She taught the three of us how to make some of her simpler designs. Carrie caught on very quickly, and Esther gave her a bracelet to finish. I, however, was not blessed with such nimble fingers. Esther guided me through a set of stitches, and praised me once I caught on. I really felt like I connected with her, and I was sad when we had to move on somewhere else. I had hoped to see her the next day (which was also our last), but she was at a religious service when we came back. I never really got to say goodbye to Esther, and I have no way of keeping in touch with her. But I did buy some of her bracelets, and each one reminds me of the short time I spent with her. I really hope that she will still be at the Damien House in two years, because I would love to embark on this trip again.

-Siena Falzon 

No comments:

Post a Comment