Friday, June 29, 2018

Clausura & Equator, by Chicco Adamo



This morning (yesterday) we were able to sleep in, and in that time we could also start to explore the working boys center. We made our own breakfast and brought our dirty clothes to the laundry so they could be cleaned. Our day truly started when we went to the graduation of the students at the Working Boys Center. Already I could tell that this would be a different experience that at Casa Damian, but I also knew that it would be a good experience nonetheless. The graduation, or clausura, was chaotic and loud, but the point got across. Personally I felt some nostalgia for my own 8th grade graduation. After the graduation we were invited to stay for mass, but this mass was completely different from the one that I was accustomed to back home. It surprised me how distracted most of the students were while the priest was speaking, but when ever a song came on, everyone focused and started singing and dancing.

After mass we ate, picked up our laundry, and set off to do one of the coolest things I’ve ever done in my life. We went to the equator. The bus we took to get there was packed, and I guess that just means that the public transportation is popular in Quito. We went to an open air indigenous museum and got to see houses and other virtues the my bad. It shocked me how incredibly developed the houses were. Our guide explained that they had thermal insulation and were waterproof. I also can’t believe that they eat guinea pigs. I find it disgusting because I once had a guinea pig, but most of the other kids were dying to try it. Finally, we got to see the equator, and got to try a bunch of activities that could only be done there. We tried to walk across the equator in a straight line with our eyes closed, but it was impossible. Overall the equator was really cool and I’m glad I got to see it. Quito and Guayaquil are definitely two complete different places, and not just geographically, but I can’t wait to see what’s in stored here.

No comments:

Post a Comment